Thursday, February 26, 2009

Oh non l'ho fatto! (Oh, no you didn't!)

Ok, don't get me wrong. I love almost everything here. I mean, to the point of thinking I should just cash in my return flight ticket and stay. Italy is so much more relaxed than the US, from what I can see. People walk slower, sit longer, eat more, and don't feel guilty drinking during the afternoon. It's rare to see people going out for a run, because they already get plenty of exercise by opting to walk everywhere rather than waste gas driving a few blocks. People seem to stop and appreciate beauty around them a bit more, maybe because they're constantly surrounded by breathtaking architecture.
There are, however, a few things that are not so hot about Italy. None of them are a big deal really, but I figure I should be allowed at least one post to do some complaining.

1. Umbrella Manners: No, really. People in Padova do not seem to understand the physics of passing other people in the street when it's raining. One umbrella + another umbrella + no attempt at movement = UMBRELLA COLLISION. My housemate Nicole constantly reminds me that in New York, these people would get beaten up (or at least screamed at) for not following the Umbrella Code of Conduct.

2. Shower-Baths: Our house has a hand-held shower. The best way to use it is to sit cross-legged in the tub, which means you never get water on your entire body at once. I've gotten used to it pretty quickly, but I know that the next time I get a real shower that doesn't leave me still feeling cold (Italians also apparently don't like to turn their heat on very often), I'm going to relish it.

3. Peeing In a Hole: This isn't a problem everywhere, but some places still use the outdated bathroom, aka a hole in the ground. Honestly, this is just against biology. We know men can handle this type of toilet, but women? Just awkward.


4. No Dryers: Washing machines and dryers go together like peanut butter and jelly. Thus, not having dryers is like eating a plain peanut butter sandwich-alright, but not quite as satisfying. Actually, it's more like watching your clothing dry for three days and then giving up and putting on damp socks.

5. Calling it a night, early...every night: Things in Padova (and in most places in Italy, it seems) close way early by our standards. Bars are usually kicking you out around midnight (maybe 1 am) and you'll be hard-pressed to find anything that runs 24-7 (oh, how I miss CVS and grocery stores that stay open past 8 pm!). For any night owl (pretty much any college student?) this is no fun.

Okay okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I'll go back to eating, drinking, and being merry.

2 comments:

  1. EVERYTHING IN EUROPE CLOSES AT 5, IT'S SO ANNOYING. Doesn't anyone in Italy (or France in my case) say, "hmm, I could really go for a pint of ice cream," or "damn, we're out of toilet paper" at 7pm?! There's so much opportunity for capitalism here...

    Also, the shaths are also really annoying. I just got used to the fact that the entire bathroom was going to end up wet by the time I was done. It's shoddy engineering, as far as I'm concerned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gbeighs, I greatly appreciate the term "shath" and will use it from now on. I also appreciate the name Gbeighs, because the idea of more than one Beigheera is absurd.

    ReplyDelete